add a comment
Email HR a cover letter outlining your experience, a resume (preferably in Word or PDF format), and samples of your writing (or links)
PayPal Contract Senior Editor (3 Months) – San Jose July 5, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, editor, marcom, south bay, user experience (UX).
add a comment
Edit website content and marketing collateral for consistency with the PayPal Content Style Guide; work with cross-functional teams, keep track of own schedules and deadlines, and help drive projects to completion; attend executive design reviews; manage legal reviews, ensuring that PayPal messaging is in legal compliance; become a subject-matter expert for assigned product areas; attend kickoff meetings and provide estimates on projects; provide new terminology and guidelines for the style guide; keep abreast of current user design principles and guidelines.
- 5+ years of copyediting experience for a major website
- basic understanding of web user interface and design issues
- comfortable with technology; familiarity with standard references
- excellent project-management skills
- positive attitude, tolerance for ambiguity and desire to drive toward results
- great troubleshooting and communication skills
- comfortable working in fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- ability to work well across diverse teams and departments; ability to think globally and edit content for easy translation
- able to manage own work, balancing multiple projects requiring coordination across a number of teams
- good organizational skills
- ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- B.A./B.S. degree or higher.
Nice to Have Skills
- Experience leading projects.
- Experience editing for SEO.
PG & E Contract IT Technical Writer – San Francisco July 3, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, san francisco, technical writer.
add a comment
Job ID PSX57643
Our energy flows through you! We recognize that our employees are the backbone of our success. It’s the mix of talent, skill, enthusiasm, drive and team spirit that empowers our employees to deliver your energy, today and tomorrow. This is your opportunity to join our team and make your contributions in an industry that is rapidly changing.
Information Systems Content Planning, Development, Editing and Management. Telecom/Computing Project Consulting.
- Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) and Content Management Server (CMS): site design, development (with HTML), and management. Manuals and Guides: Administration, Configuration, Installation, Test, Operation, Procedure, Process, and User. Compliance: Configuration Manuals (CMs), Process Manuals (PMs), Operations Level Agreements (OLAs), Service Level Agreements (SLAs), policies, standards, and procedures. Marketing material: brochures, white papers, branding, customer presentations, posters, and leave-behinds. Document layouts and templates: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and WSS.
- Content Management: Make recommendations for technology products (including web-based) and services based on user needs and budgets. Document planning and development: needs assessment, project scope, resource planning, document plan, and templates for user manuals, communications, roadmaps, presentations, process flowcharts, newsletters, and training materials.
- Written Communication
- Process Improvement
- Technical skills: Proficient in MS Office products and web-based tools.
- Writing/editing skills: Ability to change complex technical information to clear and easy-to-understand content for print and web presentations; highly-skilled in editing wide range of documents for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Interpersonal skills: Ability to successfully work with content authors of various backgrounds and skill levels.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of technical writing in an IT environment
CyberSource Technical Writing Intern – Mountain View July 3, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, intern, peninsula, technical writer.
add a comment
We are looking for an intern to join our Information Development group. You will:
- Work closely with our developers, QA engineers, technical writers and technical support team to research information and get reviews.
- Incorporate new material and improve the quality of our existing user and developer documentation.
This internship position starts at 20 hours per week with potential for more depending upon the selected intern’s availability. Hours are flexible but must be during normal business hours. The successful candidate will be a quick, energetic learner who has:
- 2 or more years completed toward a Bachelor’s degree in technical writing, computer science, or related degree.
- Enrollment in a Technical Writing program a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to explain concepts clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and a passion to learn.
- Familiarity with FrameMaker a plus.
- Familiarity with programming documentation a plus.
- Familiarity with graphic design and web development a plus
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical disability, medical condition, or any other factor prohibited by law.
Email HR a brief cover page and your resume, or fax it to 650.964.4378.
add a comment
Job ID: 7981
Macrovision’s ‘Consumer Electronics products’ group is looking for a highly capable technical writer to help us produce customer facing documentation for our CE SDK products. Our customers are a “who’s who” of the consumer electronics industry, and you’ll help them build a wide range of next-generation connected home entertainment devices.
To succeed in this role you must have:
- Experience writing technical documents for a developer audience (preferably embedded software developers)
- Ability to read and comprehend (but not necessarily write) C or C++ code
- Proficiency with Adobe FrameMaker
Desired experience/qualities include:
- Experience documenting networking protocols
- Familiarity with content streaming technologies
- Familiarity with encryption/cryptography technologies
add a comment
This position will report to the manufacturing engineering group in support of commercial laser systems (cw and Q-switched products).
The primary responsibility of the hire will be to write, edit, and document work instructions for new and existing laser systems with instructions, direction, and training from manufacturing engineers
Work with engineering to establish the most efficient (in creation time and operational execution) form for work instructions using all available tools and methodologies.
- Well-versed with software packages used in method creation (Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Word and FrontPage, CAD, etc) and should be adept at translating work instructions to documented form (text, pictures, exploded 3-D isometric drawings, etc.).
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Word and FrontPage, CAD.
- Experience in lasers/optics or mechanical engineering a plus.
TrainPro Contract Technical Writer – Fremont May 12, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, east bay, technical writer.
add a comment
TrainPro School of IT provides a complete education solution for professionals who need to train themselves on the latest IT Skills, IT tools, Soft Skills, Methodologies, and Languages.
We have an immediate opening for a Technical Writer with several years of working experience in the IT industry with technical documentation. Prior experience with documenting Business Analysis course structure, Project Management, and Quality Assurance course structure a plus.
You would be required to work with our training team to:
- Formulate the course structure & course material.
- Develop, and write documentation sets, including complex technical material, under limited supervision.
- Prepare the content for power point presentations
- Create companies templates or design slides
Email HR and put “Technical Writer” in the subject line
add a comment
LogLogic provides the world’s leading enterprise-class platform for collecting, storing, reporting and alerting on 100 percent of IT log data from virtually any device, operating system or application. LogLogic series 3 LX and ST appliances address the compliance, operations and risk mitigation needs of the most demanding Fortune and Times 1000 companies globally. LogLogic’s innovations include creating the world’s first search engine for fast moving IT log data and Compliance Suites that automate using that data to enforce critical controls and regulations. LogLogic has won multiple awards including 2006 AlwaysOn Top 100 Private Company, Best of Interop 2005, SC Magazine’s “Best Computer Forensics,” Info Security’s “Hot Company 2006,” and the Red Herring 100.
With more than 300% year-on-year growth, LogLogic is one of Silicon Valley’s hottest pre-IPO companies and is backed by Sequoia Capital, TeleSoft Partners, WorldView Technology Partners, and Invesco. These are top-tier venture capital firms with long track records of success shared by founders and employees they have backed. More information on LogLogic can be found at LogLogic.com.
This writer will primarily document LogLogic compliance product offerings, which manage the collection of log data to satisfy regulatory compliance requirements. The writer will work with a group who document several simultaneous product releases, each of whom is primarily responsible for a major project or release’s documentation.
The primary job responsibilities for this position are:
- Writing new manuals and online help
- Providing quality writing and content presentation/organization
- Writing task-oriented content
- Planning and accounting for their work deliverables
- Redesign existing, or design new, online help system using latest cutting-edge help authoring technologies (if skillset and project time allow)
Ideal Experience and Skill set:
The ideal candidate should have:
- 5+ years of technical writing experience, including task-oriented software procedure writing and online help authoring
- Adobe FrameMaker and Robohelp are required; Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Word, and Paint Shop Pro or Visio experience are helpful
- Ability to hit the ground running with new technology, and to easily adjust to reasonable changes during the development process
- Competence in writing minimized, task-oriented documentation
- Ability to devise a reasonable schedule and meet its dates
- Familiarity with regulatory compliance standards (SOX, HIPAA, PCI, etc.) is a strong plus
- Experience with latest online help authoring and design technologies, especially with designing/redesigning new, cutting-edge online help, is a plus
- HTML, XML, and wiki familiarity are a plus
The ideal candidate should have the following personal characteristics:
- Open, proactive communication with peers and management.
- Commitment to quality, risk reduction, and productivity tools.
- Commitment to producing quality, class-leading user documentation.
- Enjoy the startup environment, with its high demands and high rewards.
- B.A. Technical Writing, Writing, or related field. (related degree plus Technical Writing Certification accepted)
WaveMarket Contract Technical Writer – Emeryville May 12, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, east bay, technical writer.
add a comment
WaveMarket is looking for an organized and detail-oriented technical writer to support our engineering team. This position will include creating developer guides for software developers. This position is for a short term contract (~40 hr per week for 4 weeks) at our Emeryville headquarters.
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Work effectively with other members of the project team, including software development, test development, and product design
- Organize, write, and edit developer guides and online materials
- Demonstrate ability to communicate technical information clearly
- Familiarity with software terminology, organization, and design
- Experience with HTML, CSS, and other web publishing technologies
- Recent experience writing documentation for software developers
- UNIX and Windows platform experience
- Experience documenting APIs
- B.A. in English, Technical Communication, or related field or B.S. in Computer Science, or a technical discipline with a concentration in technical writing.
WaveMarket Inc. is a pioneer in mobile location-based technologies and location blogging. WaveMarket sells wireless software to mobile carriers in the United States, Europe and Asia. WaveMarket’s customers include Sprint Nextel, SK Telecom, Korea’s leading wireless carrier, and Bell Mobility, the largest wireless operator in Canada.
Our culture is extremely friendly and close-knit, yet also results-oriented. We are located in Emeryville, CA, a few blocks from Highway 80/580 entrance, and 10 minutes from San Francisco.
Email HR with your resume in the body of the email (as text, PS, or PDF), along with several paragraphs describing why you are qualified for this position.
add a comment
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Product Documentation: Ensure that all necessary product documentation is produced and published in a timely, professional, and efficient manner per established templates/procedures for the assigned product area. Proactively leverage all work by extending it to other media options to improve internal (employees) and external (customers) understanding of the Elekta/IMPAC product line. Documentation types include: Release Notes, System Requirements, Help and How-To topics, Training Guides, Product Notes, Checklists, Reference Materials, and all other product labeling types listed and defined in QOP07A as well as other assigned projects.
- Project Team Participation. Participate in product review teams for assigned products areas as needed. Review and sign-off on all engineering documentation relevant to assigned product specialties, and help determine support documentation required for product release. Work with designated staff to pro-actively improve customer satisfaction with products and product documentation.
- Customer Service Support. Constantly improve quality and breadth of documentation to meet or exceed customer expectations and help reduce customer call volume. The most important attributes of quality documentation are: accuracy, thoroughness, readability (i.e. not ambiguous, easy to understand), usefulness, consistency, and organization.
- Process Improvement: Ensure ongoing improvements by developing work instructions and templates to guide documentation development, review others’ work for quality and consistency with established standards, and seek out and implement new tools and technology to improve either the development process or the end-product.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employees must be able to read, speak, write and comprehend the English language.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Ability to research engineering documents to produce user-friendly documentation
- Ability to effectively interact with members of other departments
- Ability to effectively use available resources to assess and resolve problems
- Ability to work efficiently and independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to consistently deliver results according to project plans
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Working knowledge of core products and proficiency in assigned product specialties
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g., technical communications, healthcare, computer science, communication arts, journalism); minimum of three years experience in technical writing, online help development, and software documentation (PC applications and networking). Familiarity with and/or proficiency with the following software tools: Word, FrameMaker, Robohelp, PaintShopPro, and Acrobat.
add a comment
Company Job ID: J647869WC
Job Code: 2007-06T-HTJ
Fluidigm Corporation, an innovator in the microfluidic market, is dedicated to delivering the promise of microfluidics through the commercialization of complete and enabling microfluidic systems that impact mission critical objectives within life science research. Fluidigm uses a proprietary process known as Multi-Layer Soft Lithography to fabricate Integrated Fluidic Circuits. We are currently looking for a highly motivated professional to join our team.
Fluidigm is a growing Biotech company based in South San Francisco. We were honored by Red Herring magazine as both a top 100 Private Company in North America (5/2005) and a top 100 Company (public or private) that embodies innovation, technology and strategy (12/2004).
We are currently seeking a focused, accomplished, professional technical writer.
- Write user guides, quick reference cards, user bulletins, product inserts, data sheets, online help, etc.
- Work effectively with SMEs and other team members in a frenetic, deadline-driven environment.
- Execute deliverables on time.
- 3+ years as a technical writer in the Biotech industry
- B.A./B.S. degree
- Adobe FrameMaker proficiency
- Polished, grammatical written and oral communication
- Excellent at collecting, analyzing, verifying, and writing about biotechnical information.
Work for one of Red Herring’s Top 100 Private Companies! Fluidigm offers an exciting, collegial working environment with excellent compensation and benefits, including pre-IPO stock options.
Email HR, and include the position title and job code in the subject heading.
add a comment
- Work with system (UNIX, Linux, Windows) and network administrators/leads/managers in IT Infrastructure team to document procedures on implementation and maintenance of various technology.
- Write run books (operations manuals) for key areas such as running and maintaining version control software solution for engineering.
- Write various project documentation including on requirements, solutions, architecture diagrams, training materials, user guides, customer SLA’s, maintenance, roll-out procedures, etc.
- Update BC documentation.
- Experience writing system and network documentation
- Knowledge of infrastructure terms and basic concepts.
- Work with MS Word, Excel, Visio (network diagrams, flowcharts, etc.)
- Must be able to be able to get information from busy administrators quickly and efficiently
- BS in technical degree or previous system/network administration experience preferred
- Must have good references
- To start, work 20 hours a week onsite in Los Altos, CA on 3 months contract (can be extended)
Email Jim Beal
A9 Contract Web and Marketing Writer – Palo Alto May 9, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, copywriter, marcom, peninsula.
add a comment
We’re looking for a talented writer to write for Clickriver Ads, an A9.com-sponsored link advertising service.
Clickriver allows businesses to place sponsored links on Amazon.com, reaching online shoppers during the entire shopping experience, as they shop, browse and search on Amazon.com.
Located in downtown Palo Alto, A9.com builds innovative search technologies and services, including Clickriver Ads and A9 Product Search. A9.com is a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely.
- A strong instinct for writing compelling marketing communications that will appeal to our target audience.
- Ability to understand Clickriver business goals on given projects and make recommendations about what communications should be updated (website, user guide, emails, etc).
- Ability to create compelling materials that will attract prospective advertisers.
- Ability to match the right language to visual designs and web application features to create a compelling user-experience.
- Team player, hard-working and goal oriented.
- At least five years of experience in writing customer-facing communications, preferably for the web.
- At least two years experience in two of the following: marketing copy, technical writing, website copy, and or customer support communications.
- Experience in web publishing or high-tech.
- Write compelling copy that is easy to scan and to understand.
- Own the voice for the website, including website copy, help resources, customer communications, and UI text, including error messages and warnings.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Design and Engineering to ensure the accuracy of existing copy, proposed edits, or new content.
- Project manage the writing effort, keeping the team informed of progress.
- Learn from advertiser feedback to improve the writing in Clickriver Ads.
- Partner with marketers, software engineers and designers to deliver a great finished product.
- At least 5 years of industry experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Advertising, Journalism, Humanities, Mathematics or Computer Science.
Email your resume and a portfolio of your writing samples to HR
add a comment
Job ID: 1245
General Physics (GP) is an international performance improvement company providing a full spectrum of custom training, engineering, environmental and support services. Our clients range from Global 500 companies such as DaimlerChrysler, EDS, General Motors, IBM, Lockheed Martin, US Steel to government organizations such as Naval Undersea Warfare Center and NASA. We employ more than 1500 professionals who are the best in their fields.
Seeking experienced Technical Writers with either manufacturing experience or software experience.
Technical writers with manufacturing experience will work with subject matter experts to develop and maintain user guides that contain equipment descriptions and operating procedures, and equipment manuals that contain preventative and corrective maintenance procedures and troubleshooting methods, along with parts lists and schematic diagrams.
Technical writers with software experience will work with subject matter experts to develop and maintain user guides that contain descriptions of the software user interface, screen captures with descriptions of the major functionality and features of the software application. Specific user actions required to perform a certain function of the software will be described in a step-by-step format.
The role of the Technical Writer, as qualified for either hardware or software or both, is to develop and maintain both hardware equipment manuals and software manuals aimed at both external customers (User Guides, Software release notes, etc.) and internal field personnel (Remove and Replace, PM, etc.). May require writer to develop standard operating procedures and instructional design collateral. The technical writer will:
- Gather all relevant information from SME’s
- Attend relevant meetings to provide status and communicate changes.
- Coordinate with Illustrators for updated drawing, and SME’s (or by self) for screen shots and photographs.
- Incorporate all information into the required User Documents, Training Guides, Training Media, Troubleshooting Guides and other relevant target documents
- Deliver draft versions for validation of technical content and accuracy to designated SME’s
- Incorporate SME’s comments into the draft documents
- Deliver draft publications for review
- Deliver final versions of the materials and submit to document control for release.
- Map and update to the VFI if relevant.
Technical Writers with experience in workflow and routing software (e.g. Documentum) will be given preferential treatment.
Software skills required are: Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Word.
add a comment
Watt Stopper/Legrand offers a comprehensive range of lighting control solutions for commercial applications, including lighting control panels, occupancy sensors, automatic daylighting controls, bi-level HID controls, DALI dimming controls, and plug load controls. In addition, the company has engineered groundbreaking residential products, including the revolutionary Miro architectural wiring devices and wireless RF controls. Other residential control products include motion sensors and code-compliant vacancy sensors.
In addition to bringing innovation to lighting control, Watt Stopper/Legrand continues to lead in education and industry participation. It is an active member in many industry and energy efficiency organizations, including Rebuild America, Energy Cost Savings Council, Council of Educational Facility Planners International, National Association of Energy Service Companies, National Electrical Manufacturers Association, Illuminating Engineering Society of North America, LonMark,ÓLighting Controls Association, BACnet Manufacturers Association, US Green Building Council, and Sustainable Buildings Industry Council. It is a registered provider for American Institute of Architects Continuing Education System.
Watt Stopper began as a family business by two brothers in their father’s garage. Since then, it expanded and currently has corporate offices in Santa Clara, engineering services in Santa Clara CA, Carlsbad CA and Birmingham AL, a National Technical Support Center in Texas, manufacturing and warehousing in Livermore CA and 15 regional sales offices across the United States and Canada.
Watt Stopper is part of the Legrand North America group of companies, which includes Wiremold/Legrand, Pass & Seymour/Legrand, Ortronics/Legrand, Watt Stopper/Legrand and On-Q/Legrand. Legrand North America (LNA), headquartered in West Hartford, Connecticut, is committed to product innovation and world-class service. The Legrand North America vision is to be the premier choice for electrical and network infrastructure products, systems and solutions. Employing 2,600 employees across the United States and Canada, Legrand North America has a work environment that promotes personal advancement, pride and achievement.
Our need is for a freelance illustrator/graphic designer/desktop publisher to develop illustrations and layouts for installation and user guides for installing electricians, electrical distributors, specifying agents, and technical support at all levels.
The candidate must have demonstrable experience in communicating concepts and procedures graphically in a clear manner that promotes safe and successful field installations.
The illustrator will work under the guidance of the staff technical writer to implement input from numerous functional departments, including engineering, marketing, regulatory compliance, tech support, and other SMEs.
- Excellent desktop publishing skills
- Expertise with Adobe Illustrator
- Expertise with Adobe InDesign
- Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat
- Familiarity with Adobe PhotoShop
- Excellent oral and written English language skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information clearly through graphics
- Work effectively with SMEs who may be remotely located
- Two years of technical illustration experience
The ideal candidate has experience designing instructional materials for electrical device manufacturers for the construction and building trades. A technical writing or illustration certificate or degree, or a background in human factors would be a plus. Please indicate any experience with AutoCAD or SolidWorks applications.
Email Mary Jo Sowinski or fax your resume to 408-988-5331