2 Contract Tech Writers, onsite – EFI, Foster City September 22, 2010Posted by synergistech in contract opp, interface design, peninsula, technical writer, user experience (UX).
add a comment
[reposted from a 9-20-2010 Yahoo newsgroup item]
We have a need at EFI, Inc. in Foster City, for 2 contract Technical Writers; one part-time and one full-time. FrameMaker 7.X, Acrobat Pro, required. The writers will working on User Guides, Installation Guides, Online Help, and need to have some experience with working with developers on the User Interface (UI). Must be onsite 100% of the time for they will work very close to the development team.
Email the publications manager.
Contract Technical Writer (SDKs) – Sencha, Palo Alto August 10, 2010Posted by synergistech in contract opp, peninsula, south bay, technical writer.
add a comment
To succeed in this position, please have several years of experience documenting SDKs, particularly in dynamic start up environments.
Additionally you must:
- Demonstrate solid experience developing various types of documentation (including procedural and reference documentation and tutorials), in various formats for a software developer audience. Writing samples expected.
- Understand the documentation development lifecycle and be able to help define documentation requirements and scope and then plan, schedule, and manage your own work in a fast-paced environment.
- Have a solid understanding of Web technologies and application development concepts.
- Be a “hands-on” technical content development expert who is able to use a source control repository, set up a Web server, and use the SDK you are documenting.
- Be able to navigate and read code.
- Be able to quickly learn complex technical concepts and distill them into concise, usable documentation.
- Be flexible and able to work in an environment in which documentation authoring environment, standards, and processes are being defined.
- Be able to use standard documentation development tools and editors.
Ideally, you will also be:
- Able to write code snippets.
- Comfortable working in source code and have experience editing documentation comments/annotations directly within the code.
- Able to contribute to our efforts to define our authoring environment, standards, and processes.
- Familiar with modular documentation, structured authoring, single-sourcing, and chunking concepts.
Specific knowledge of MVC or GWT would be helpful but is not required.
LOCAL AND PRINCIPAL CANDIDATES ONLY.
Email: email@example.com (insert ASCII text in message body or send PDF as an attachment). NO PHONE CALLS. PLEASE.
LUZ Freelance Linguist/Translators – San Francisco July 6, 2009Posted by synergistech in 100% offsite possible, contract opp, san francisco.
add a comment
Job ID: 0806/01
The Freelance Linguist is responsible for translating or editing primarily medical/pharmaceutical/biology-related documentation. Translators and editors must be native speakers of the target language.
We are currently recruiting Freelance Linguists, preferably for the following language pairs:
Linguists with other language pairs are encouraged to apply as well.
- Must be a proficient native speaker of the target language
- At least 3 years professional translation experience
- Advanced degree in sciences preferred
- Subject specialist in the life sciences required
- Experience with Translation Memory tools required
- Detail-oriented, conscientious, and technically savvy
Email HR (firstname.lastname@example.org) citing Job ID in subject line
LUZ Contract Linguistic Proofreaders – San Francisco July 6, 2009Posted by synergistech in contract opp, editor, san francisco.
add a comment
Job ID: 0606/01
The Linguistic Proofreader is responsible for linguistic and formatting reviews of translated documentation. In this role, the Linguistic Proofreader performs the final quality assurance review of translations to ensure the consistency/accuracy of formatting, consistency across languages, adherence to translation specifications, etc. Training will be provided as needed.
In addition, the Linguistic Proofreader may work in a variety of languages. Command of at least one language (other than English) is required.
This is a great opportunity for young linguists who are interested in an introduction to the translation/localization industry. This freelance position does not involve translation/editing.
This position is located at our San Francisco headquarters.
- Background in translation/localization and/or copy editing desired
- K nowledge of at least one foreign language required
- Experience in translation, editing, or proofreading
- Familiar with translation/localization requirements
- Detail-oriented and conscientious
- Fast learner
- Interested in continuous improvement/training
- Good interpersonal skills
Email HR (email@example.com) citing Job ID in subject line
Contract Web Content Writers – Anywhere June 27, 2009Posted by synergistech in 100% offsite possible, contract opp, copywriter.
add a comment
Ed: this company appears legitimate but we have no independent proof. As always, caveat emptor. Please reply with your own experience.
Intacct Training Consultant – San Jose September 15, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, course developer, south bay, trainer.
add a comment
A great opportunity awaits you as a high-energy, curriculum development and delivery consultant. Intacct is launching a new education roadmap to provide live, web based, and pre-recorded training for both internal and external customers. In this role, you will be responsible for the development, updating and delivery of content in the following areas: Intacct’s products (financials, supply chain, PSA, reporting and integration with other applications); product implementation; new features; new employee on-boarding and ongoing employee education.
A successful Training Consultant will have excellent interpersonal communication and consultation skills that are needed to successfully build relationships with subject matter experts and obtain information needed to prepare training curriculum. Personal competencies of resourcefulness, organization and adaptability are needed to overcome frequent barriers and bring projects in on schedule.
- Analyzing, designing, and developing training courseware to be delivered worldwide through e-learning and blended learning courses. Delivery of training via the web for all audiences
- Delivery of live training seminars to customers, partners and employees
- Development of course content including the trainer’s guides and student’s materials
- Development and delivery of examinations and exercises to verify the mastery of the course material both during and the conclusion of the course
- Working with the Manager of Education to schedule courses to meet demand
- Assistance in the development of the course curriculum tailored for the requirements of each audience
- Ability to work with Engineering, Business Development, Professional Services and other internal groups to coordinate delivery consistent with our VAR and other corporate programs
- Regular status reporting of actual results for course delivery and content development compared to plan
- Coordination of the recording of the courses to allow for on-demand delivery of core courses and new features
- BS/BA preferred
- Ideal candidate will have 5 plus years experience in training curriculum development and delivery
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Outstanding group presentation and communication skills
- Experience in financial applications training preferred
- Good facilitation techniques to promote effective learning
- Ability to understand a variety of business processes for accounting, inventory, project management, time and billing, and expense reporting.
- Ability to learn our applications’ functionality in order to effectively train others in how to implement and use the application
- Highly enthusiastic, positive-minded, customer focused, service-oriented
- Good understanding of Internet technologies
- Quick learner and self-starter requiring ability to work independently
- Preference for working collaboratively in a team environment
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business or accounting
TVWorks Contract Technical Writer (3-6 mos) – Mill Valley September 15, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, north bay, technical writer.
add a comment
Job ID: 4761784
Witness the evolution of TV! TVWorks connects living rooms with new and exciting broadband services. We are hard at work providing software to the largest digital TV cable operators in North America, helping them develop the next generation of interactive TV applications. Our software enables a variety of sophisticated services such as Video on Demand, Personal Video Recorders, Electronic Program Guides, Enhanced Programming, Interactive Advertising, Portals, and Games. Help bring viewers an advanced television experience with software and services from TV Works.
Headquartered in Mill Valley, CA (5 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge), TVWorks can be reached on the Internet at http://www.tvworks.com/
We have an incredible culture and environment at TVWorks. We are part of a joint venture between Comcast Corporation and Cox Communications, two of the largest cable operators in the world. As Comcast employees, we are provided with excellent compensation, benefits, stock grants, an incredible vacation/time off plan (30+ days a year!) and other great perks including FREE Comcast cable/internet services for all employees in Comcast service areas. Plus, it is a really great place to work!
TVWorks is seeking a talented and motivated Technical Writer for a 3-month contract. The focus will be to work with Product Managers and Software, QA and Support Engineers to upgrade and expand software developer kits and application and server installation and administration guides for external end-users. This individual must be able to plan, analyze, develop, and write system overviews, installation and administration procedures, reference material and tutorials. The qualified candidate will be a self–motivated technical writer who is familiar with a variety of technical writing concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Developers Kit Documentation
- Application Installation and Administration Guides
- Server Installation and Administration Guides
- Release Notes
- Internal User Documentation
- Technical diagrams
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Excellent creative, organizational, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- High-level project management skills to design and drive new product documentation from start to finish.
- Knowledge of single-sourcing and high-level skills with FrameMaker and WebWorks.
- Detail oriented, proactive and able to prioritize and juggle multiple projects at once.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment with diverse teams.
- Excellent technical writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- At least 3 years of experience producing technical writing.
- B.A./B. Sc. or equivalent experience.
- Previous experience creating software developer and server documentation (Linux or UNIX) for external audience.
- Familiarity with a programming language, an IDE (Eclipse preferred), XML, and XSD.
- Experience with IXGen Indexing plugin or previous index creation experience.
- Technical knowledge of Java, C/C++, Object Oriented technologies, web applications, software products a plus.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment.
Email Aaron Steinberger or call (415) 722-4436
For more info:
Pearson Foundation Contract Writer/Instructional Designer – Mill Valley September 15, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, course developer, technical writer.
add a comment
Job ID: 4756736
The Pearson Foundation is developing print instructional materials for an introduction to computer programming course to be used by high school career academies throughout the U.S. We are looking for a freelance writer with both technical expertise and educational experience to work 30 to 40 hours per week from mid-September 2008 through May 2009. Applicants must be located in the San Francisco Bay area. Compensation will be hourly DOE and as appropriate for a nonprofit setting.
The successful candidate will create lesson plans and instructional resources for Introduction to Programming, part of a professional track offered by a network of public high schools predominately based in urban districts with underserved student populations. This one-semester course will use a conceptual approach to teach the basic knowledge and skills students need to be successful with programming in any language. Python is the language that will be used to teach the programming skills.
- Significant experience as a professional writer
- Proficiency with computer programming in general; facility with Python specifically
- Professional experience with instructional design, curriculum development, and student-centered pedagogy; classroom teaching experience is preferred
- Availability and flexibility for the duration of the project, including the ability to drive to meetings in Marin County once or twice a month
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in a relevant field
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (especially the advanced functions of Microsoft Word)
- Working knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style
The Pearson Foundation partners with nonprofit, public interest, civic, and business organizations to support students and teachers and to sponsor community-based education programs across the globe.
Email Peter Weinstein a cover letter with your hourly compensation requirements, your resume, and two relevant professional writing samples
Zurb Contract Visual Designer – Campbell September 15, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, copywriter, graphic designer, south bay.
add a comment
ZURB is looking for a Visual Design Freelancer to work with our design strategy team on two music related web projects. We’re a close-knit team that helps companies design better web sites, services, and products online. We’ve been around over 10 years and have over 75 startups in our client roster. Our clients range from large, well-known companies that we’ve helped for years (e.g., Photobucket, Zazzle, Playlist.com, the New York Stock Exchange) to brand-new startups just finding their feet (Qik, TinyPic). They all came to us based on our reputation of delivering killer ideas that work. We’re creative thinkers, risk takers and refuse to look at our work as just a job. We like fun projects and constantly push each other to get better at our craft.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for someone that produces great visual design using Photoshop, but is also extremely comfortable using XHTML and CSS as design tools. The projects we’re working on are focused around music, so a keen eye for style is desired.
- Visual Design – illustrations, icons, compelling visual elements, etc.
- Experience integrating with Rails would also be great.
- Words – clear explanations, compelling writing, and the occasional clever or funny e-mail
Ok I’m in! What do I have to do?
We like creative thinkers, admire risk takers and refuse to look at our work as just a job. We like fun projects and push each other to get better at our craft.
To apply, email HR with:
- A catchy subject line with the words “Visual Designer that Digs Pop Music” at the front
- URL to your portfolio
- A list of your top 3 skills
- Your best teamwork tactic
- Your resume
Trulia Contract Marketing Writer – San Francisco September 15, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, copywriter, marcom, san francisco.
add a comment
We are seeking consumer blog columnists/writers to blog about all things real estate and home related on our soon-to-launch new Trulia Voices Blog Platform. As a contributor to Trulia, you’ll build and maintain your own blog featuring your thoughts, opinions and expertise on a variety of real estate related topics that can include:
- Going Green – tips to make your home greener
- Neighborhood focus – the ins and outs of neighborhoods throughout your city
- Tracking celebrity homes
- House hunting tips & tricks
- Buying a home: charting your personal house hunt
- Selling a home: chronicle of your home sale
- Tips to increase the value of your home
- Design & Decor
- Home Improvement tips and stories
- Pictures and videos of neighborhoods, communities, parks, and businesses
- Anything else that you find interesting about real estate, from a consumer’s point of view!
You will manage your own blog, profile, and the discussions that result from your blog posts. You can work online on your own schedule.
This is a paid-for-performance opportunity.
Email HR including:
- One paragraph on the topic you would like to write about on Trulia.com
- Submit 2 writing samples on a real estate related topic
- Your current blog (if you have one)
Yahoo Contract UK Search Editor – Sunnyvale August 14, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, editor, south bay.
add a comment
Job ID: 588499
Are you passionate about finding, evaluating, organizing, and writing about information for the mobile world? Do you have a voracious appetite for and insatiable curiosity about learning new topics? We’re looking for an experienced, creative, and versatile editor to participate on a variety of projects including handling feeds, building taxonomies, classifying online content, analyzing search behavior, and assisting with a variety of other overarching tasks.
Job Description Highlights:
- Monitoring and analyzing site traffic/usage data to make programming decisions
- Understanding users’ wants and needs, making product feature suggestions based on the competitive landscape and user climate
- Classifying diverse unstructured data
- Participating in regular testing and QA assignments
- Communicating ongoing product improvements, distributing information promptly, and escalating issues with the appropriate members of the product, liaison, or US teams.
Core Capabilities / Requirements:
- BS/BA or equivalent required, plus two years of experience
- Knowledge of the UK market and culture is a must
- Ability to collect, analyze, and interpret search data
- Attention to detail, flexibility, organizational skills, and an abundance of common sense
- Willingness and ability to delve into new topics and a passion for learning
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Strong communication, writing, and decision-making skills
Mobilygen Contract Technical Writer (3-6 mos) – Santa Clara August 14, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, south bay, technical writer.
add a comment
It starts with talented people devoted to creating the most advanced digital video compression technology in the world. Mobilygen is the pioneer in low power H.264 solutions and a great startup backed by top-tier venture investors (KPCB & Redpoint). Be part of the team that will revolutionize mobile video.
Writes, edits and revises documentation for product development, support services, and customer/end-user activities. Retrieves, organizes, analyzes and synthesizes complex subject matter and transforms it into easy-to-understand information for specific technical audiences. Employs various authoring and desktop publishing software tools to produce finished products that include printed or electronic publications and integrated online help systems. May develop new programs and/or processes, as well as modification and enhancement of existing processes and/or programs. Plans and directs documentation development projects and schedules; reviews project execution against goals; and provides status reports. Contributes significantly to overall goals and objectives.
- Participates in design, planning and creation of hardware or software product documentation, for example, installation, operation, and maintenance instructions and other technical publications, such as technical advisories and release notes.
- Participates as a leader of design and development of documentation presentation and distribution systems.
- Exerts sphere of influence outside of organization; offers proposed design changes and suggestions to processes and product.
- Collaborates cross-functionally to accomplish objectives and voluntarily shares information, while fostering teamwork.
- Develops solutions to complex problems, which require regular use of ingenuity and creativity and contributes proactively to the development of new theories and methods.
- Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives, without appreciable direction.
- Actively seeks customer input, and may take responsibility for customer situations, (internal and external customers).
- Excellent technical writing/editing skills
- Communication skills
- Analytical and problem solving ability
- Project management skills
- Ability to handle pressure and change
- Strong product/technology/industry knowledge (Asic, board, embedded software, datasheets)
Experience and Education:
Bachelors degree (technical) or equivalent and 8-12 years experience as a technical writer is required. Experience with Adobe FrameMaker, MS Word and Office applications, and authoring online help is required. Experience with computer hardware or software documentation, and familiarity with video chips is desirable.
Marvell Contract Technical Writer – Santa Clara August 14, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, south bay, technical writer.
add a comment
Category: Consumer Products
Job Title: Contract Technical Writer
Job Category: Engineering
Job Sub Category: Technical Writing
Complete Technical Reference Manual in Marvell specified format, SW development kit & programmer’s user guide in Marvell specified format
add a comment
Green Options Media is Looking for College Students for Summer Web Publishing Internship
Do you care about the environment? The future? Want to make a difference, or at least start learning how? It starts here.
GreenOptions.com is an online media community geared toward empowering sustainable choices. Despite the amount of green information out there, we know that many people are still hunting for practical, personal knowledge that allows them to live a more eco-friendly lifestyle without breaking their budget or seriously sacrificing comfort and convenience.
We provide a place for average people to connect with whatever aspects of the green movement appeal to them, and make informed decisions that allow them to live a responsible, healthy and abundant life.
Intern Responsibilities :
Responsibilities will include assisting the writers in our blog network with promotion, through use of social media. You will have the opportunity to learn about Search Engine Optimization through participating in various projects to improve our visibility in the search engines. You will also help with researching other blogs and websites for networking opportunities, as well as contribute to our Community Forums. There may also be opportunities for editing, and writing for our network.
We are looking for web-savvy interns with great online research skills. Knowledge of and interest in specific green topics is important, as well as a willingness to help out with both the fun and the tedious projects. Ideally interns will have knowledge or be users of social media sites such as Digg and StumbleUpon. Prior experience using WordPress is also helpful, as well as general proofreading abilities. Great communication skills and an ability to learn quickly are key.
Our company is run collaboratively with offices in San Francisco and St. Louis, with remote staff throughout the country. Your work can largely be done virtually, although preference will be given to candidates local to our offices. Interns should feel comfortable working independently, and virtually.
Time Commitment: internships are unpaid and require a three-month or semester-long commitment, with a minimum of 10 hours of work per week. Internships are available only to currently enrolled college students, who will receive credit for the experience.
Anticipated start date in May/June.
Email Sharon Troy your resume and cover letter, and put “Summer Web Publishing Internship” in the Subject line. Please tell her you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!
Taseon Contract Technical Writer – San Jose July 31, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, south bay, technical writer.
add a comment
Job code: 375520
Taseon, Inc. headquartered in San Jose, California, is a leading-edge networking company developing solutions for carrier networks. Its unique technology innovations enable an industry-first fully integrated packet-over- all optical solution designed to support the rapid growth of packet services over a flexible, scalable and cost effective network infrastructure. Taseon Inc. is privately held and is backed by blue-chip investors.
The qualified candidate will be responsible for the generation and maintenance of product manuals, white papers, installation and provisioning procedures, and other customer-facing documents for Taseon products. Qualified candidates will work closely with sales, engineering, and test personnel to capture the content of the required documents. This is a contract position.
- Identify the need for, document the requirements of, and develop documents for the internal and external-facing customers of Taseon products.
- Develop and maintain a revision control system for the initial creation and subsequent update of all documents within the technical writer*s purview. This includes the generation of defects related to all manuals and working with the QA team to isolate, resolve and verify the defects in the manuals.
- Lead initiatives to build Taseon’s documentation processes and tools to create robust solution documentation, making it easier for high-level deployments.
- Collaborate with support and service teams to leverage customer priorities and customer concerns into Taseon documents. Establish a process for continuous improvement.
- Work with QA & Product Marketing to scrutinize release notes for a given release and own the process/task that generates the final document packages to Taseon*s customers.
- Report documentation progress on a regular basis.
Major skills required:
- 5 years or more of technical documentation development, preferably with optical networking technology.
- Understanding of the telecommunications marketplace, specifically in reference to optical networking systems. Familiarity with DWDM is a plus.
- Experience in working with document creation and publishing tools * Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Technical Communication Suite (FrameMaker 8, RoboHelp 7, Captivate), Microsoft WORD.
- Experience in implementing the Web-based distribution of intra-company and customer-facing documents.
- Effective communication skills, flexibility, a strong teamwork approach, and the desire to work in a startup environment are necessary.