Yahoo! Web Services Technical Writer – santa Clara May 13, 2008Posted by synergistech in south bay, staff opp, technical writer.
Requisition ID 13524
The Internet is a big, busy place, and we at Yahoo! are proud to stand out in the crowd. As the world’s number one Internet brand, servicing over a half billion people, we’re determined to maintain our commitment to delivering news, entertainment, information and fun… each and every day.
In order to maintain our position as one of the world’s most trafficked Internet destinations, we’re always on the lookout for people with big ideas and big talent to help us provide our visitors with the innovative products and services they’ve come to expect from Yahoo!. We’re looking for people like you.
How Big Can You Think?
The Yahoo! Audience Product Platform team is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Technical Writer with a strong technical background and aptitude. Position includes writing API and SDK technical documentation, working with software engineers to create source code examples. The primary users of the API and SDK documentation are internal and third-party developers creating applications using Platform Web Services.
- Write reference documentation for XML, SOAP, REST, PHP and web service APIs
- Write code examples or rewrite examples provided by engineers
- Contribute to documentation plans and strategy
- Regularly interview senior engineers and other subject matter experts
- Use existing information model to develop structured content
- Adhere to quality standards and documentation guidelines
- Provide error-free and technically accurate documentation that is consistent across subject areas
- Improve documentation team processes and tools
- Solicit input from internal and external third-party developers who use Yahoo! Platform Services
- Ability to create documentation in HTML without WYSIWYG tools
- Solid understanding of and experience with mark-up languages (XML, SGML)
- Experience documenting APIs, SDKs, and/or development frameworks
- Understanding of and experience with SOAP, REST, JSON-RPC, and web services
- Ability to read and write Java, C#, C++, or PHP
- Proficient with word processing, on-line documentation (e.g. Adobe Acrobat, DocBook, Dreamweaver, Framemaker, WebWorks, doxygen, XML Mind, or related tools), desk top publishing, and document control techniques
- Good organizational skills and the ability to prioritize among multiple work items
- Self-starter and resourceful
- Ability to meet aggressive deadlines while developing good working partnerships with various members of the product and writing team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Writing samples are a must!
- Experience with Wiki.
- Understanding of database concepts and operations
- Ability to interview developers and write structured content based on information they provide
- Familiar with source code control tools such as CVS, ClearCase, or SourceSafe
- Experience as a software developer
- Experience with bug tracking tools
- Web design/user interface design a huge plus
EDUCATION AND/OR RELEVANT EXPERIENCE:
- 4+ years experience writing for a software developer audience
- BA or BS in Computer Science, English, Journalism, Technical Documentation, or related field.