add a comment
Environmental Software Providers (ESP) is the established leaders in global environmental management information system (EMIS) software. (more…)
Medidata Technical Writer – Ross March 23, 2008Posted by synergistech in north bay, staff opp, technical writer.
add a comment
Medidata Solutions is a provider of software applications and services for the clinical research industry, and offers a comprehensive, integrated suite of clinical trial solutions. Simple and straightforward to use, the system is extremely fast in low bandwidth environments and provides powerful management tools to improve the efficiency of the clinical trial process. Medidata has successfully implemented trials both in the U.S. and internationally, in Phases 1-IV, and in multiple therapeutic areas.
The Technical Writer will be responsible for developing design specifications, user manuals and other manuals that accompany the software product and for working with Product Management and Development teams to understand product design and functionality.
- Research and understand hardware and software systems, as well as technical procedures
- Create design specification documents based on C# and HTML code
- Create user manuals and guides as needed
- Develop templates for standard documents as needed
- Work with Product Management and the Development team in R&D to produce documentation deliverables
- 4+ years of technical writing experience with software or online systems
- 4-year degree strongly preferred
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts into easy-to-understand and straight-forward user documentation
- Expert knowledge of MS Office
- Strong familiarity with other standard documentation tools: Visio, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, RoboHelp
- Proficiency in HTML
- Familiarity with SQL databases, object-oriented programming (preferably C#) and web technology
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work both in a team and independently
Log Savvy Technical Writer – Berkeley March 22, 2008Posted by synergistech in east bay, staff opp, technical writer.
add a comment
Log Savvy is changing the way the world looks at log data analytics and is always looking for talented individuals. If you are a leader in your field and passionate about what you do, Log Savvy’s world class team is interested in you! We search for people that can work in a team environment, who demonstrate a passion for their work, and who can contribute to our continuing success and growth.
The Technical Writer position will be responsible for identifying internal and end user documentation needs, developing documentation for Log Savvy products, creating and maintaining repositories for client documentation, and managing and communicating timelines for updates following major releases.
Adobe Editorial Manager – San Francisco March 22, 2008Posted by synergistech in manager, san francisco, staff opp.
add a comment
Job ID: HY080736
Title: Editorial Manager
Job Level: Individual contributor
Education: Bachelors (or equivalent work experience)
Job Type: Full Time
Locale: United States/San Francisco
Experience: 3-5 years
The Platform Documentation team is an exceptional team of developers and writers that produces core content released in several key Adobe web development products, including Flash, Flex, and AIR. We are seeking a senior-level manager to plan, staff, budget, and control activities of this group. This manager will establish strategic plans and objectives for the team and ensure the effective achievement of objectives.
The ideal candidate has experience in high-pressure, dynamic environments managing complex teams and releases. This team uses cutting edge delivery mechanisms and needs a leader with vision to analyze stakeholder feedback and design workflows and solutions.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Participate with other senior managers to establish strategic plans and objectives.
Make final decisions on administrative or operational matters and ensure operations’ effective achievement of objectives.
Maintain combined resource plan and integrated schedule of documentation projects.
Manage the release of content deliverables.
Manage integrated and community content plans.
Regularly interact with business unit management and/or customers to ensure stakeholder and contributor needs are being addressed.
Work with program managers from other functional teams to ensure communication of schedules, dependencies, and risks.
Participate in corporate development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects, programs, and people.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- 10+ years in publishing and content development, including 5+ years management and 5+ years in high-tech.
- Expert working knowledge of documentation requirements and project management.
- Knowledge of software documentation and samples development processes and lifecycle management.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with a wide variety of projects and groups.
- Experience in effectively managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with MS Project, source control systems, HTML, and WIKI editing.
Ideal Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience with localization schedules and release issues.
- Experience with JavaDocs, Doxygen, or similar documentation generators.
- Experience with web community practices, including community editing, tagging, and commenting.
- Familiarity with XML documentation schemas, such as DITA.
add a comment
U4EA Technologies is seeking a MarCom Specialist to join its Information Materials Group to develop outbound marketing materials that support sales, tradeshows, and marketing campaigns. The successful candidate will combine excellent high-tech understanding with keen abilities to produce attention-grabbing materials for a broad and varied audience.
Manage end-to-end, from concept to finished product, the production of outbound information materials
Interact with Marketing and Sales teams, as well as partners and Engineering teams, to research and develop outbound materials
Research, develop, and write:
Marketing collateral such as data sheets, case studies, white papers, backgrounders, and brochures
Standardized sales and trade show presentations
Copy for the corporate Web site
Work with manager to maintain templates, source files, and production standards of materials
Work with vendors for order fulfillment of finished materials in a timely manner and in appropriate quantities
Minimum requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
At least 5 years experience in Marketing Communications writing for high-tech telecommunications and/or networking companies
Knowledge of VoIP and QoS technologies as well as service provider and SMB markets a definite plus
Excellent skills with InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, PowerPoint and other MS Office tools
Proficiency with Web CMS systems and other Web technologies a plus
Siemens Technical Writer – San Jose March 22, 2008Posted by synergistech in south bay, staff opp, technical writer.
add a comment
Technical Writer (Networking/Broadband Software)/Software Quality Assurance Testing
Company: Siemens Corporation
Division: SC – Siemens Corporation
Functional Area: ENG – Engineering
Location: CA – San Jose
Req ID: 66392
Job Type: Regular
Job Time: Full-Time
Experience Level: Mid Level
Required Education: Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience
Required Travel: 0%
Siemens AG (NYSE:SI) is one of the largest global electronics and engineering companies with reported worldwide sales of $107.4 billion in fiscal 2006. Founded 160 years ago, the company is a leader in the areas of Medical, Power, Automation and Control, Transportation, Information and Communications, Lighting, Building Technologies, Water Technologies and Services and Home Appliances. With its U.S. corporate headquarters in New York City, Siemens in the USA has sales of $21.4 billion and employs approximately 70,000 people throughout all 50 states and Puerto Rico. Eleven of Siemens’ worldwide businesses are based in the United States. With its global headquarters in Munich, Siemens AG and its subsidiaries employ 480,000 people in 190 countries. For more information on Siemens in the United States: www.usa.siemens.com.
Siemens Home and Office Communication Devices (SHC) is a global market share leader in both broadband data devices and cordless voice phones. As these two technologies converge, SHC is perfectly positioned to provide the best next-generation home communication solutions for service provider deployments. And combined with our Gigaset Software Suite, we bring together the essential elements that enable faster return on your investment.
Create and maintain full documentation for Networking/Broadband related software tools and utilities.
Perform testing of Broadband desktop connectivity software products.
Create and maintain customization guides, user manuals, installation guides, online help systems, error codes, and release notes for all software modules (80% of time).
Perform black box testing of broadband desktop software products across several Microsoft Windows OS platforms (20% of time).
Execute company required procedures and record keeping tasks.
Successfully interact with remote engineering groups, field support personnel and customers.
Maintain a customer focus and be adaptable to change.
Required Knowledge & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of Technical Writing experience specializing in Networking Software Products (creating & maintaining customization guides, user manuals, installation guides, online help systems, error codes, and release notes for software modules)
- Must be able to translate an “engineering” perspective to a “user” perspective on all documentation.
- Must be able to create concise documentation and action plans based on technical knowledge of the products
- Experience creating HTML pages using Frontpage, Dreamweaver, and/or other web development applications
- Experience creating help systems using Robohelp, HTMLhelp and/or Web help
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Windows Platforms—familiarity w/ Unix-based operating systems is a plus (such as: Linux and/or Sun)
- Must be very comfortable with computers and Networking technologies—Working knowledge of networking building blocks such as bridges, routers, hubs, and switches are a Plus. Broadband technology experience from a user’s point of view is a plus (Example: DSL)
- Must be proficient in using Microsoft Office products, especially word
- Effective interviewing and listening skills
- Must have the ability to solve routine user problems
- Must have strong verbal & written communication skills
- Work well in a team environment
- Must be comfortable working with technology
- Must be organized, reliable, attention to details, and able to efficiently manage multiple tasks.
- Must be able to work extended hours when required (up to 5 additional hours/week during approaching product delivery dates)
Initiative, Creativity, Change orientation, Learning, Communication skills, Team player, Result and Organizational orientation, and Customer focus.
ZL Technologies Technical Writer – San Jose March 22, 2008Posted by synergistech in south bay, staff opp, technical writer.
add a comment
The ideal candidate will be self-driven and able to remain focused in a fast-paced environment. This is a chance for a newer writer to work independently and author complete product manuals working directly with development engineers. He or she will be responsible for the authoring and maintenance of the documentation set for one of ZLTI’s key enterprise software products. He or she will work closely with the product suite lead technical writer, as well as with development engineers, QA team, and product managers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Create, edit and maintain technical documentation (installation guide, administration guide, end-user guide, etc.)
Author key instruction updates on a time-critical basis
Work closely with Development team, QA team, Technical Support team, and Product Managers
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- 2+ years professional experience
- At least one year of experience authoring with Framemaker 7 or 8 in a technical communications group
- College degree with relevant technical writing or computer science coursework
- Experience documenting enterprise-level mail archiving or legal case management tools
- Moderate fluency in Japanese
- Ability to produce release-quality documentation without technical editing support
- Experience analyzing product interfaces from a usability perspective in conjunction with the documentation workflow
We require an initial technical documentation writing sample, of no more than five pages, to be included with your application. This sample can be an excerpt from a longer publication, such as a key section from a chapter, which demonstrates your ability to document product functionality. Candidates may be requested to provide additional writing samples after initial review. We welcome candidates with a writing background in non-technical fields, provided they have the minimum necessary experience in technical communications.
Please include in your resume a description of relevant work you have authored in journalism, academic research, product marketing, etc.
ZL Technologies is a privately held software company that develops archiving software to address the needs of enterprises to meet regulatory and governance requirements. Enterprise customers include the likes of A Top 5 US Bank, A Top 5 Global Bank, ADP, Regions Financial Group, Bank of New York, Walgreens, Hancock Bank, Furukawa, Morgan Keegan, and many others.
ZL Technologies Marcom Associate – San Jose March 22, 2008Posted by synergistech in marcom, south bay, staff opp.
add a comment
At ZL, you will be part of a values-based organization focused both on achieving organization success AND being a great place to work. As a marcom associate, you will have an opportunity to make a difference — personally and professionally by leading the design and delivery of new marcom programs and processes. All degrees/majors welcome. International students please feel free to apply. We prefer Juniors to Masters level. Previous marcom/PR experience a plus, but
Responsibilities may include some of the following:
- Execute Marketing Communications Programs to help meet the objectives of the company;
- Measure the results of these programs and assure that they are accomplished within budget;
- Support media relations activities;
- Develop and produce collateral materials such as exhibits, newsletters, videos, brochures and data sheets;
- Respond to daily inquires which occur in a dynamic business;
- Support proactive Marketing Communications Programs to enhance the image of the company and product awareness in the marketplace;
- Support sales staff globally;
- Write and produce marcom documents (press releases, etc.) needed to support sales.
add a comment
Job Reference #: 072899
Mellon Capital Management, a subsidiary of The Bank of New York Mellon, provides global investment solutions designed to meet the objectives of institutional investors – consistent, risk-controlled investment performance. Since the firm’s inception in 1983, Mellon Capital has steadily built a reputation for excellence in quantitative portfolio management and research. This reputation has attracted quality investment professionals who share the commitment of our firm’s founders to apply sound economic and financial theory to the asset management process. Mellon Capital is composed of energetic, talented professionals with a passion for achieving results for our clients and an unwavering commitment to quality. We endorse a strong belief in work/life balance and foster an environment that draws upon the strengths of each individual to create an atmosphere of personal and professional growth. Together, we build upon a tradition of integrity, teamwork, and excellence.
As one of the world’s leading financial services organizations, The Bank of New York Mellon recognizes the importance of a competitive benefits plan as part of your total compensation. That’s why we offer a comprehensive, customizable benefits program to meet the needs of our diverse workforce. Benefits include high quality medical and dental plans including orthodontic coverage, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement plans that include an attractive 401k match and a company funded pension plan, generous tuition assistance and other work/life programs. Mellon Capital Management is an equal opportunity employee (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workforce.
The Senior Investment Communications Analyst provides sophisticated investment writing services to benefit clients, prospects, and internal marketing channels. The incumbent will write custom and standard commentaries for both clients and Mellon Capital Management (MCM) products and act as a project lead for groups of commentaries. The incumbent will also participate in the set-up and maintenance of proposal database software and assure that responses are clear, concise, correct, consistent, and SEC-compliant. Additionally, the incumbent will provide special writing support and/or services to investment professionals and other marketing team members for Web site, Client Advisory forum, collateral, and other pieces as required, consistent with MCM’s marketing plan.
Write custom and standard commentaries for both clients and Mellon Capital products. Act as project lead for groups of commentaries.
Monitor current financial news in order to describe the quantitative impact of market movements on MCM product relative performance.
Use MCM and other systems and reports to determine accurate and relevant information for commentaries.
Synthesize multiple news items and data points into clear succinct summaries.
Work with portfolio managers to deliver portfolio updates clearly, promptly, and effectively at regular intervals (mostly weekly, monthly, and participate in the quarterly; some semi-annual, annual, and ad hoc setup and maintenance of proposal database software.
Assure that responses are clear, concise, correct, consistent, and SEC-compliant.
- Edit and update core proposal responses for accuracy and consistency.
- Guide sections of the database through regular periodic reviews and updates by portfolio management, compliance, legal, and other contributing departments across the firm.
- Write or shepherd the writing for answers to new questions.
- Provide special writing support and/or services to investment professionals and other marketing team members for Web site, Client Advisory forum, collateral, and other pieces, as required, consistent with Mellon Capital’s marketing plan.
- The qualified candidate will possess a BA/BS in Finance or equivalent with 6+ years of related experience in the institutional asset management industry with knowledge of investment markets.
- MBA and CFA, or progress toward CFA desired.
- The incumbent must have excellent written and oral communication skills; strong analytical and mathematic skills as applicable to investment concepts; excellent organizational skills with high attention to detail and accuracy; and intermediate-level use of spreadsheet and database software.
- Additionally, the incumbent must be familiar and comfortable with strict, tight deadlines and a have a high commitment to accuracy and on-time delivery.
Chevron Contract Technical Writer & Editor – San Ramon March 22, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, east bay, technical writer.
add a comment
Full time, onsite contract (6 mo)
6001 Bollinger Canyon Rd.
San Ramon, California 94583
We are seeking a highly skilled Technical Writer and Editor who has experience writing and editing a wide range of corporate documents. You may be writing training materials for a nontechnical audience one week and editing an engineering report the next.
Must be able to edit technical and nontechnical documents
Write a wide range of corporate documents
Work on several projects at a time
Work independently or cooperatively with a diverse project team
Adhere to the corporate style guide
Communicate effectively with subject matter experts both in person and remotely
- 7+ years experience as a technical writer and editor
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Experience authoring in Microsoft Word using styles and templates
- Experience creating presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint
- Excellent communication, research, writing and proofreading skills
- Experience grasping technical concepts and communicating them to a nontechnical audience
Nice to Have:
- Knowledge of The Associated Press Stylebook, Society of Petroleum Engineers Style Guide and Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications
- Knowledge of the oil industry
- Experience in project management
- Experience in marketing and communications writing, including creating content for the Web
add a comment
NextHop Technologies is a leading provider of Wi-Fi mobility solutions and networking protocol software for the wired and wireless communications market. Our products include embedded switching, routing, and WLAN (802.11) software.
The position will involve working closely with development, product management, and customer operations to write documentation both for embedded-system engineers and end users. The organization is highly distributed, with offices in California, Massachusetts, and India.
This position requires solid technical aptitude, excellent writing skills, and the ability to complete projects with minimal supervision. Previous experience writing technical documentation for embedded software and networking equipment as part of a distributed team is highly preferred.
The successful candidate will primarily be designing and writing user manuals and online help material, but will be expected to contribute both editorially and with content to all documentation (for example, web presence, CLI help syntax, architecture documents and technical sales materials). The role involves researching new product features and new technology in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
As senior technical writer, you will organize and prepare information for publication and develop publication concepts for the best communication of the subject matter, review technical information prepared by other staff members for clarity and content, and lead in the definition and evolution of standard practices and procedures. Flexibility, good spirits, and a strong technical background are essential.
This position is contract-to-hire. The job location could be any one of California (Mountain View), Massachusetts (Acton), or India (Bangalore), although California is preferred.
We will expect the successful candidate to:
produce accurate, high quality, well-written documentation in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment in coordination with other departments;
research new product functionality by reading software design documents, often before working code is available;
quickly attain subject-matter expertise in one or more areas of project responsibility; and,
work within a cross-functional team (including software developers, QA engineers, product managers, and user-interface designers) to prepare and implement documentation project plans.
- At least 6 years writing technical documentation for a combination of software development and network equipment companies
- Exceptional technical writing and editing skills
- Proven ability to write documentation for both engineers and non-technical business users
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines and deliver high-quality materials
- Proven track record of innovation for making documentation more usable and useful for customers
- Strong experience using writing single-source documentation for both online help and PDF distribution
- Ability to learn quickly and adjust priorities in a dynamic environment with short release cycles
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to existing styles and processes, and contribute towards improving them as necessary
- Strong team player
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or communications field
- Hands-on experience with image editing and diagramming software, such as Photoshop, Illustrator and Visio
- Experience with source code management tools such as CVS, Perforce, and ClearCase
- Experience using Adobe FrameMaker
Taseon Technical Writer – San Jose March 22, 2008Posted by synergistech in south bay, staff opp, technical writer.
add a comment
Taseon, Inc., headquartered in San Jose, California, is a leading-edge networking company developing solutions for carrier networks. Its unique technology innovations enable an industry-first fully integrated packet-over-all-optical solution designed to support the rapid growth of packet services over a flexible, scalable and cost effective network infrastructure. Taseon Inc. is privately held and is backed by blue-chip investors.
The qualified candidate will be responsible for the generation and maintenance of product manuals, white papers, installation and provisioning procedures, and other customer-facing documents for Taseon products. Qualified candidates will work closely with sales, engineering, and test personnel to capture the content of the required documents.
Identify the need for, document the requirements of, and develop documents for the internal and external-facing customers of Taseon products.
Develop and maintain a revision control system for the initial creation and subsequent update of all documents within the technical writer’s purview. This includes the generation of defects related to all manuals and working with the QA team to isolate, resolve and verify the defects in the manuals.
Lead initiatives to build Taseon’s documentation processes and tools to create robust solution documentation, making it easier for high-level deployments.
Collaborate with support and service teams to leverage customer priorities and customer concerns into Taseon documents. Establish a process for continuous improvement.
Work with QA & Product Marketing to scrutinize release notes for a given release and own the process/task that generates the final document packages to Taseon’s customers.
Report documentation progress on a regular basis.
Major skills required:
- 5 years or more of technical documentation development.
- Understanding of the telecommunications marketplace, specifically in reference to optical networking systems. Familiarity with IP and Ethernet is a plus.
- Experience in working with document creation and publishing tools ??Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Technical Communication Suite (FrameMaker 8, RoboHelp 7, Captivate), Microsoft Word.
- Experience in implementing the Web-based distribution of intra-company and customer-facing documents.
- Effective communication skills, flexibility, a strong teamwork approach, and the desire to work in a startup environment are necessary.
- BS/BE or equivalent with 5 years of professional experience.
Mobio Contract Technical Writer – Cupertino & offsite March 22, 2008Posted by synergistech in contract opp, south bay, technical writer.
add a comment
Development Platform Contract Technical Writer
Mobio is looking for a contract technical writer to create two reference guides for its mobile application development platform, as well as a developer’s guide or tutorial that describes how to put all of these pieces together.
The best candidate will also be able to do, and will be interested in doing “light programming,” as an avocation. You will be responsible for thoroughly and precisely documenting the platform’s controls, Xforms variant, and Rails-based development framework. You will be doing much of the work remotely, but will be needed two days per week for intensive work with our engineering team. The position is a 2-3 month engagement.
We are a startup in the mobile consumer applications space. Currently we have dozens of successful mobile applications which we’ve been able to build using our innovative platform that facilitates building rich mobile applications quickly that instantly run on hundreds of handsets and all major mobile platforms. Empirically we’ve been able to build mobile applications an order of magnitude faster this way than writing them “by hand” in Java or C++ for J2ME, Windows Mobile, BREW, Symbian, or Blackberry. The platform allows developers to describe their mobile interfaces declaratively at a high level, as a set of XML controls. The specific XML syntax is based on the W3C Xforms standards, with a variety of proprietary extensions and controls that take advantage of unique device capabilities.
Our development framework, based on Ruby on Rails, enables developers to more easily generate the Xforms views as well as generating “downlevel” interfaces for WAP and mobile XHTML. We are in the process of exposing this platform to other mobile developers. To do this, we need to document thoroughly and precisely our controls and Xforms variant and our Rails-based development framework. These are two reference manuals that need to exist, and that most “API technical writers” are qualified to do well.
Gilead Sciences Senior Technical Writer – Foster City March 19, 2008Posted by synergistech in peninsula, staff opp, technical writer.
add a comment
Senior Technical Writer-IT
The Senior Technical Writer conducts business analysis on IT and project teams to develop documentation (technology standards, technical documents, architectural diagrams, etc.) for planning, strategy, engineering and operational purposes. The successful candidate will be expected to perform analysis primarily with Subject Matter Experts (SME) from IT Architecture, Infrastructure, Service Desk, Quality and Application staff.
- Conduct analysis to understand and document emerging technologies, technical and operational trends.
- Coordinate and lead meetings to collect technical information from SMEs for documentation purposes.
- Ensure accuracy of content through reviews and feedback from SMEs and other stakeholders.
- Represent Documentation in cross-functional meetings and key decision making activities. Keep manager updated through periodic meetings for updates on schedules and status.
- Administer IT document control process: using document management system.
- Balance multiple, concurrent projects and regularly communicate status and issues to applicable parties.
- Manage own projects, including requirements gathering, estimating task duration, prioritization, attending team meetings, identifying obstacles and ensuring high quality documentation is delivered on time.
Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company’s mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide. The company passed the $2 billion mark in sales in 2005 and has eight commercially available products. Gilead ranked #29 in Fortune magazine’s annual list of the 100 fastest-growing companies for 2005. Headquartered in Foster City, California, Gilead has operations in North America, Europe and Australia.
Super Micro Computer Technical Writer – San Jose March 19, 2008Posted by synergistech in south bay, staff opp, technical writer.
add a comment
Technical Writer (Job Code: SC07309)
The employee will report to Technical Support Department to provide assistance with Intel motherboard user manuals. This person will work with senior technical writers and interface with engineers to obtain technical information, write and revise motherboard user manuals.
- B.A. in English/Technical English from a US-Accredited College required
- 1+ years relevant experience in writing user guides / manuals for motherboards or computer hardware
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, PageMaker, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Ability to understand and translate engineer drawings into user-friendly English
- Ability to follow instructions and work well with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability in handling multiple complex projects simultaneously, ability to pay attention to detail and complete projects as requested.